Building a United Nations of flax: Perspectives on Creating Small Scale Flax Growing and Processing Industries
January 28 @ 9:00 am - 11:00 am
This webinar hosted by Chico Flax of California includes a panel of experts from the United States, Canada, and Europe who are working to build viable regional flax-to-linen industries. Speakers include small farmers who are undertaking flax production in collaboration with local universities, yarn manufacturers, and designers. The webinar will address overcoming growing /production challenges, changing from hand processing to mechanical small scale mini mills to provide locally sourced fibers, seed production to meet the demands of a growing flax industry, and innovative partnerships working toward reestablishing a regionally based linen industry.
Webinar Host: Sandy Fisher, Chico Flax, Chico, California
- Sarah Pottle and Jess Boeke, Rust Belt Fibershed and Cleveland Flax Project
- Jeffrey Silberman, Fashion Institute of Technology (retired), Maple Shade Farm and New England Flax and Linen Study Group
- Michelle Parrish, Western Massachusetts Fibershed and the New England Flax and Linen Study Group
- Rosie Bristow, Essex, England.
- Durl Van Alstyne, Chico Flax LLC, California
- Patricia Bishop, Tap Root Fibre Lab, Nova Scotia, Canada
- Pascale Gatzen, The Linen Project, Netherlands
- Shannon Welsh and Angela Wartes-Kahl, Fibrevolution LLC and Pacific Northwest Fibershed, Oregon
Photos courtesy of: Chico Flax