- This event has passed.
Rooted in Simplicity Community Event
September 17, 2022 @ 1:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Fibershed Community Gathering & Celebration
Join us at the Fibershed Learning Center on Black Mountain Ranch, near Point Reyes Station, CA and within traditional Coast Miwok territory, for a community gathering and celebration.
On the edge between the last days of summer and the transition to autumn, we will host “Rooted in Simplicity,” an event for and by our community, focused on the meaning and power of what we wear and how we care for those textiles over time.
This event is designed for you and your family to both dabble and deepen (whichever you choose), your connection between land, water and textiles through practices that will spur your senses and intellect.
You’ll have an opportunity to meet and mingle with artists, makers, farmers and practitioners of all textile and farming stripes as they showcase soil-to-skin pieces that they have created from our bioregion.
We will also demonstrate the full life-cycle of a garment — from soil to soil — through demonstrations that provide hands-on engagement with every facet of how we wear, wash, tend, mend and eventually compost our clothing.
Food, fiber, beverages and natural dyes will all be woven together from our landscape — you’ll have ample opportunity to eat, drink, wear and mingle in all that our land base provides for our health and wellbeing.
TICKETS: prices are sliding scale, from $50 to $125, all inclusive. The true cost of this event is approximately $131 per person. Fibershed aims to make its events and offerings accessible to all. Please pay what you are able.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:
- Workshops and demos / 1:30 to 4:30 pm
- Stitching techniques with Heidi Iverson, Honey Folk Clothing
- Felt mending with Alison Smith
- Wheel spinning with Marlie De Swart, BoRage Yarns & Designs
- Overdyeing with Grace Harris
- Dogbane cordage demo with Redbird, native educator and artist
- Basketry demo with Charlie Kennard, master weaver
- Textile composting demonstration
- Student Designer Showcase
- Music / from Audiopharmacy and Hannah Mayree
- Fibershed Producer Marketplace / all day
- Designer Showcase Gallery / 1:00 to 4:00
- Designer Showcase featuring Fibershed designers / 5:00 to 6:30 pm
- Food and drinks / from Citizen Pizza and local purveyors
The land at Black Mountain Ranch, where our Learning Center is located and where this event will be held, has and continues to develop into an incredible landscape of fiber, natural dye, food and medicine — tended and created by producers we are grateful to work with and to host these community events with.
Illustration by Elissa Callen